Lake Murray South Carolina: Originally built between 1927 and 1930 to provide electricity, the gorgeous Lake Murray has turned into one of the largest tourist attractions in the Greater Columbia area. Each year, thousands of visitors travel to Lake Murray to fish, boat, swim, kayak, sail, camp and more!
Lake Murray South Carolina: catches everyone's attention with its beautiful scenery, you will find that Lake Murray's captivating history is found in what lies beneath the surface. Lake Murray's fascinating past, exciting annual events, outdoor activities and favorite local restaurants keep guests coming back time and time again. Visit Lake Murray and see for yourself why this has become such popular local attraction!
Featured Event at Lake Murray SC:
Lake Murray Cruise
Cruise around the beautiful Lake Murray on the Southern Patriot, double deck cruise boat. This 65 foot custom cruise boat is suitable for all types of events. With a dance floor, music system, catering station, bar and more, this cruise boat is perfect for anniversaries, business events, family reunions, wedding events, birthday parties, school groups, meetings, fundraisers and more. Call 803-749-8594 today to book your Lake Murray cruise on the Southern Patriot tour boat.
Lake Murray South Carolina Information and Events
Lake Murray South Carolina was built by Lexington Water Power Company (now known as south Carolina Electric & Gas) in 1927. Construction took 3 years to complete and required them to purchase land from over 5,000 families. Six schools, three churches and over 2,000 graves had to be moved. Some families chose not to move the grave and at several area churches, there are monuments for those individuals.
When it was finally time to fill the dam, water covered over a dozen communities, hundreds of graves, the Wyse Ferry Bridge, a pipeline, several railroad tank cars, and an old rock house. In addition, B-52 Mitchell Bombers used the islands on Lake Murray for training exercises during the 1940's. A number of those planes crashed during training and still lie beneath the surface of Lake Murray. The dam is officially named "Dreher Shoals Dam" but is commonly referred to as the "Lake Murray Dam."
Lake Murray Attractions and Annual Events:
Lake Murray is enjoyed by thousands of people every week! At 41 miles wide at its widest point, Lake Murray covers an area of 78 square miles with 650 miles of shoreline. Check out these exciting activities and attend annual events!
- Swim and Sunbathe - There are several parks and recreation areas where you and your friends and family can spend the day swimming and playing in the sun. Join with friends and family for a fun cook-out on the lake.
- Boating - There are dozens of marinas, boat landings and ramps that make it easy to find a place to put your boat in the water. Don't have a boat? Rent one for a few hours or a couple of days.
- Fishing - Lake Murray offers some of the best fishing in the nation. There are numerous local and national fishing tournaments held on Lake Murray each year. Common fish found in Lake Murray include Black Crappie, Catfish, Large Mouth Bass, Striped Bass and White Perch. Whether you are a professional or looking to spend a leisurely afternoon fishing, you will enjoy fishing at Lake Murray.
- Water Ski, Kayak, Sail and more! Lake Murray offers a variety of water sports and activities. Rent equipment for the day and have some fun on the water!
- Walk/Run across Lake Murray Dam - Take a peaceful stroll or energetic jog down the Lake Murray Dam walking trail. The trail stretches 1.7 miles each way for a total walk of 3.4 miles. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. Downtown Columbia is just 11 miles away and can be seen from the dam.
- Observe the majestic wildlife - Lake Murray is home to the Great Blue Heron, Striped Bass, and millions of migrating Purple Martins. Rent a boat, take one of the lake tours, or hire a fishing guide for the day to see these amazing animals.
- Annual Events - Favorite annual events include the 4th of July Celebration, Purple Martin Boat Tours, the Taste of Lake Murray, Holiday Open House and numerous fishing tournaments.
Lake Murray Visitors Center
Situated nicely between the Mountains and the Sea, Lake Murray is a beautiful place to vacation, buy a home, retire, or simply stop for a quick visit on your way to the beach! Visit the Lake Murray Visitors Center for local information, tips and maps. The Visitors Center proudly represents Newberry, Saluda, Richland, and Lexington counties. If you are searching for vacation rentals, relocation services, looking to buy a home, or interested in checking our property in this region, the Lake Murray Visitors Center is there to help.
You will find the Visitors Center on the north side of the Lake Murray Dam on North Lake Drive (SC 6) in Columbia. The center is located in the historic Lorick Plantation House. Brochures for attractions, events, golf, and more are available at the Visitors Center.
Click here to visit their website for more information and hours.
Click any one of the above for Columbia's Greatest Hotel Values!
For more great deals across the Southeast click on one of our partner websites below:
Click HERE to submit your upcoming Events to us at Columbia SC Events!